Monday, April 1, 2013

WWKKE?

WWKKE?

No, that's not a typo in the heading.


It stands for "What Would Kathy Kent Eat?"


That was the most recent question posed to me by a client, after I looked into her pantry, make a few helpful comments, and went on my way.  After thinking about it a day or two, she asked, "WWKKE?"  I think she was curious what was really in my pantry!  (Feel free to skip the dialogue and go right to my pantry, further down.)

I think I do keep it pretty simple.  I love my vegetables and try to have them at every meal (veggie omelet), fruit (but sometimes don't take the time to cut it up), and meat.  I love a good slice of homemade bread with real butter for breakfast, but I don't do that all the time.  I will typically have some greek yogurt with fruit and sprinkled nuts and seeds.  For lunch (typically my biggest meal of the day), I love a hearty soup or stew, a chopped salad or even an egg scramble (with veggies and cheese).  Dinner is typically a lighter meal.  Sometimes, I just graze on cheese or fruit.

However, the average person (and my client) is probably just as interested in what I eat "wrong" as with what I eat "right" on a regular basis; and I think that's the key:

On the average, I eat pretty well - 85-90% of the time.  I try to eat "single ingredient foods" as often as possible.
What do I eat that's so wrong?   The 10-15% of my diet that is wrong includes the occasional homemade dessert, bread or pancakes.  It includes an occasional box of triscuits, which only include two ingredients, when I buy them.  It includes homemade ice cream topped with homemade maple syrup.  But, I don't worry about the "homemade" items, because I know what "single ingredients" went into them.  And, if I didn't make them, I know what ingredients are on the label and I approve.

What I don't like in my diet are the few sugar and artificial sugar items:  candy and diet coke.  I don't eat them often, but I do consume them on occasion.  These two items are the bane of the American diet and are a major cause of obesity.  I teach my clients to go cold turkey, to give it up once and for all; that even a little bit of sweet, breeds a sweet tooth.  We don't need it.  It's poison in a healthy body.  I know how it makes me feel:  bloated and depressed.  (But - the addiction to sugar is an entirely different topic.  You can read my newsletter on Cravings or my blog on Is Sugar Really As Bad As Heroine? for more information on the dangers of sugar dependency.)
Getting back to the pantry, I have to be pretty happy, because one of the first steps in eating healthy is to stock your house with healthy items, and get rid of processed foods.  So - this is what's in Kathy Kent's pantry:

Refrigerator:  I currently have the following in my refrigerator:

  • Organic milk and heavy whipping cream (sometimes organic, most times not) and butter
  • Hard cheeses (mostly local, no artificial cheeses) and cottage cheese
  • Greek yogurt (organic)
  • 100% fruit juice (orange and cranberry/apple)
  • Eggs (organic or free range)
  • Deer sausage (local, although some preservatives)
  • Lots of green and colorful vegetables (broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, cauliflower, onions, mushrooms, red peppers)
  • Some fruits (lemons for water), a few oranges, a few left over apples, strawberries
  • Opened homemade canned goods:  salsas, hot peppers, applesauce, beets, brandied cherries, berry jam
  • Limited condiments:  dijon mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, natural mayonnaise, wasabi

Freezer:  I currently have the following in my freezer (I have 2):

  • 1/2 side of grass fed beef
  • 1/2 side of organic hog
  • 1/2 organic lamb
  • 3-5 range free chickens
  • 20-30# local catfish
  • Homemade stuffed poblanos, jalepeno poppers (from last year's garden)
  • Organic corn (local farmer) and green beans, carrots and pesto from my garden 
  • Blueberries and black raspberries from my farm last year
  • Store bought dark sweet cherries (a treat for me)

Pantry:  I currrently have the following items in my pantry:

  • Black and Red Quinoa
  • Black, Red and Wild Rice (organic)
  • Walnuts, Seeds, dried fruits
  • Leftover Brown Rice sushi rice, and organic linquini (haven't touch in over a year)
  • Organic chicken and beef broths
  • A couple cans of soups (no sugar added)
  • 100% Juice

"Baking Pantry":  I keep some of these items on hand for when I have the urge to bake something from scratch:

  • White, rye and whole wheat flour
  • Brown sugar and white sugar (and molasses)
  • Baking powders, sodas, salts
  • Olive oil, walnut oil, peanut oil, coconut oil
  • Dark cocoa powder, some dark chocolate chips
  • Vinegars
  • Tons of spices

Canning Pantry:  I currently have the following in my homemade  canning pantry:

  • Dried morel mushrooms
  • Tomato juice, vegetable juice, Bloody Mary mix
  • Salsas and chutneys and BBQ sauce
  • Jams (usually for gifts)
  • Honey (from my bees)
  • Maple Syrup (from my trees)

Wine Cellar:  I currently have the following in my wine refrigerator and cellar:

  • Over a 200 bottles of red and white wines
  • Over 100 homemade beers

Let me know if you have any questions, or want help with your food choices.  Kathy

365fitt is about training for the event called LIFE, focusing on physical, nutritional and emotional wellness through lifestyle adaptations.  Kathy is available for personal training and wellness consultations and corporate wellness.  365fitt invites you to participate in a Healthy Active Living trip to incredible destinations.  Please visit 365fitt for more information.  Live 365fitt!


No comments:

Post a Comment