Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Why Diana Nyad's Swim Was So Epic

On September 2, 2013, Diana Nyad became the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida, in shark infested waters, without a shark cage.  The swim is estimated at 110 miles and took Nyad 53 hours to complete.  


The longest swim I have ever completed was 6 miles and took me 4 1/2 hours, mostly because I got caught in a current that kept me swimming in one place for over an hour.  It was off the coast of Bonaire, a small island north of Argentina.  When I emerged from the water, I could barely lift my arms.  Like Diana, my lips were somewhat swollen and I couldn't taste anything, a result of swimming in the salt water.  I was slightly sunburned, but in about an hour, I was almost back to normal.  Oh, I was 40 years old, too.

Now, let me tell you what makes Diana Nyad's swim so spectacular.



  • Diana is 64 years old.
  • She swam without a shark cage.
  • She swam without flippers or a wetsuit.

And, this was her fifth attempt.


That means that she tried and failed four other times.  Most people would have quit after the first failed attempt.  Definitely, most people would have quit after the second or third failed attempt.  But, Diana never game up.  She called it her "Extreme Dream".

"We should never, ever give up .... You never are too old to chase your dreams." Diana Nyad

So, the takeaway is pretty obvious.   Sometimes, it takes multiple attempts in order to succeed.  Sometimes, it's our own determination (or lack, thereof).  Sometimes, it's the conditions (in Diana's case, weather plays a huge part, but in our lives, it might be the support of our family or work).  Sometimes, it's the current, or potentially, where we are in our own life.

If you fall down, get up.  If you want it bad enough, try again.

So, this has me thinking of my next big goal.  I'm not sure what it will be, but I'm not going to wait forever.  I'm ready for something "epic".  How about you?  What are you ready for?  What "Extreme Dream" are you considering?

For more on Diana Nyad, read the article on her blog September 3, 2013.  Or, check out Diana's website.

Live Your Dream and Live 365fitt!
Kathy

Leave your comment, or Contact Kathy at kathy@365fitt.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment