Should you buy Bob Harper's new book, The Skinny Rules?
Bob Harper is one of the coaches on The Biggest Loser, the part reality show/part game show of weight loss.
Bob is a celebrity trainer, and via his 14 seasons on The Biggest Loser, Bob has an audience of 7 million viewers. The Biggest Loser "corporation" is a $100 million business.
Bob has just released a new book, The Skinny Rules: The Simple, Non-negotiable Principles for Getting to Thin.Certainly, Bob is continuing to cash in on The Biggest Loser popularity. But, why would you buy a book from someone's who's ultimate "failure rate" is 85-90%? That's right! While on the TV show, his participants have lost tremendous amounts of weight, but some studies with past participants indicate that 85-90% gain some or all of their weight back. To me, that is a resounding failure!
- As a trainer, we (Bob and I) know that losing weight, just to gain it back again is MORE HARMFUL than losing weight in the first place.
- As a trainer, we know that if you put rules in front of people, and those rules get broken, our clients actually feel ashamed and harbor negative self talk. Put twenty rules in front of someone, and you're asking for failure.
- As a trainer, I never use the word skinny, because skinny should never be the goal. Healthy should be the goal. ALWAYS.
So, why buy a book from a trainer that supports unhealthy weight loss? There's no reason. I'll give you the Skinny Rules myself, and you can decide if you need to buy the book. What I will tell you is this: If you think that buying a book, sticking to rules is a "diet" and will help you lose weight, you are WRONG.
What will help you lose weight is a healthy lifestyle FOREVER!
It's eating good things. It's eating less of the bad things. Notice that I didn't say, "Don't eat bad things", but eat less of them. Don't feel bad about yourself because you can't stick to a diet. Don't diet in the first place. Move your body and make smart choices. Eat colorful foods. Stay away from processed colorless foods.
And most importantly, love your body enough to take care of it. It's the only one you've got. To sum it up:
- Eat good things.
- Eat less bad things.
- Move your body.
Now, if you think you still need Bob Harper's 20 Skinny Rules, go ahead and read.
1. Drink a large glass of water BEFORE Every meal-No Excuses!
2. Don't Drink Your Calories
3. Eat Protien at EVERY Meal -or stay hungry & grouchy!
4. Slash Your Intake of Refined Flours & Grains
5. Eat 30-50 grams of FIBER per day!
6. Eat Apples & Berries Every single day- Yes, EVERY-SINGLE-DAY!
7. NO Carbs after Lunch ( eat 'lean & green' at night)
8.Learn to Read Food Labels so You know what you are eating!
9. Stop Guessing about Portion Size & Getit Right-for good!
10. No more added sweetners-including artificial ones!
11. Get rid of White potatoes!
12. Make one day a week Meatless
13. Get rid of Fast foods & fried foods
14. Eat a REAL breakfast
15. Make Your own food and eat at least ten meals a week at home
16.. Banish High Salt Foods
17. Eat Your Vegetables-(no excuses)- Just DO it!
18.Go to bed hungry!
19. Sleep Right
20. Plan one splurge MEAL per week