Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Look Inside Yourself For the Truth

You want to change.
You need to change.
For your health.

I run into a lot of people who know that they are in poor health.  They know they need to change.  You know you need to change.

You feel like a time bomb, ready to explode any day, any week, any month.  You just can't go on living the way you do.  It's going to kill you.

You feel terrible.  You hate the way you look.  You hate the way you feel.  You begin to hate your bodies and themselves.  It has to stop.  But, failed attempt after failed attempt have left you feeling helpless to change.

I chose this picture, above, because sometimes, you just have to look at yourself and see the truth.  Take a good hard look.  What is looking back at you?  Look deeper and be totally honest with yourself.  This is an exercise in truth and honesty.

Now, ask yourself a few questions:
  1. What do you see?
  2. Who is responsible?
  3. Can you change?
  4. Can you do it alone?

If I could coach you individually, I would say that what you look like does not define you.  It is not who you are.  Your body is a physical shell.  What you feel like should also not define you.  It is merely a "state".  You may not be able to change your body, without plastic surgery, so let it go and let it be.  However, if you don't like how you feel, you alone are responsible and you alone can change.

You can blame it on your parents (my parents were heavy and had high blood pressure).  You can blame it on your family (I don't have the time because I take care of everybody else).  You can blame it on your job (I have to be at work too early and I'm too tired when I get home).  You can blame it on the environment (it's too hot or too cold).  You can blame it on society (I can't resist the bread they bring to the table at my favorite restaurant).  But, we both know that you can make it work.

Why wait for tomorrow?  Because you have tomorrow?  Because there's no immediacy?  To let it go for another day is simply foolish, because the diagnosis may come tomorrow and then it will be too late.

Take care of yourself today.  Put yourself and your health first.  Make YOU a priority today.

Living 365fitt,
Kathy





No comments:

Post a Comment