|This handout is available in pdf at 365fitt.com|
- Refined sugars increase risk of almost all diseases.
- Processed foods (including white flour) increase risk of almost all diseases.
- A diet high in saturated fats increases risk of almost all diseases.*
- Omega - 3 (grass fed beef, wild game, fish, organic eggs, wild rice, walnuts) can reduce your risk of disease.
- Colorful foods (fruits and vegetables) can reduce your risk of disease.
- Improve brain function at the cellular level
- Improve cell function at the cellular level
- Destroy free radicals in the body
- Improve the immune system
- Decrease risk of disease...at the cellular level
Colorful vegetables contain few calories, but are nutrient dense and are packed with tons of antioxidants and vitamins. My favorites are kale, red, yellow and green peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, leeks, purple cabbage, beets, and carrots and winter squash. While this is not a complete list, it is a readily available start.
Finally, everybody should eliminate processed foods and refined sugars, and I'm sorry to say for many people, that includes bread products.
For more information, I suggest you take a look at the following:
- Minding Your Mitochondria a powerful, powerful video about disease (MS) and one woman's story about reversing this disease through better foods
- Mark's Daily Apple an information packed site full of the disease fighting modern day hunter/gatherer diet (aka paleo).